In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

clean food challenge- day 2

Day 2 has gone off without a hitch, minus a 10 minute period where I would normally be slurping in a coffee at about 3 pm and, since I wasn't, I wanted to be asleep.  I actually feel really amazing and love that when my hand goes to grab something mindless (a bread crust, a spoonful of pasta the girls are eating for supper, or the end of their Skinny Cow fudgesicle) I simply remind myself that it is not an option.  It makes it refreshingly easy.

Today for lunch I had Ange's veggie burger and instead of smothering it with ketchup (I really love ketchup but that is a story for another time) I thoroughly enjoyed it with avocado slices.  These burgers are easy, delicious and versatile.  Served alongside were nectarine slices and tangy basmatic rice (recipe: here.)



Ange's Veggie Burgers: (with my adaptations)

1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
1/3 c, red onion, minced
1/2 c. shredded zucchini
1/2 c. shredded carrots
1/2 c. oats, ground to course texture
1/2 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cumin
1 tablespoon Worchershire Sauce (or tamari, but if used decrease salt)
1-2 cloves minced garlic

Puree in food processor (or alternately, mash in a bowl for chunkier consistency).  Form into patties and cook in a greased pan about 7 minutes on each side.  Makes 4 burgers.

I find it easy to blacken them (which still tastes good) so watch the heat.  Today when I made them I actually skipped the canned beans in favor of dry black beans boiled and then pureed.  I have to say I prefer how soft the canned ones are.

Snacks have been fruit, nuts, a green monster smoothie (1 cup of unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1 frozen banana and 2 c. baby spinach in a blender) and rice cake with sunflower butter.

Oh and a king-sized Hershey bar.  KIDDING.

Then on to supper...

Peanut Butter Soup: (From Yoga Journal Jan/Feb 2006)

4 oz. tempeh, cubed
1/4 c. tamari, divided
2 tablespoons molasses, divided
3 cloves garlic, divided
2 c. chopped onion
1 large red bell pepper
1 large yellow pepper
2 tsp. minced ginger root
9 c. vegetable stock
1 dried ancho chili, softened in hot water (you can also increase the amount of pepper flakes as a substitution)
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. ground coriander
1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
1/8 tsp. tumeric
3 tablespoons raisins
1/3 c. uncooked basmati rice
1/3 c. organic peanut butter (I used crunchy instead of smooth and thought it was perfect)
1/4 c.scallions, minced (optional garnish)

1. Place the tempeh in a small mixing bowl and marinate it in 2 tablespoons tamari, 1 tablespoon molasses and 1 minced garlic clove.  Set aside for 30 minutes.

2. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil in a large saucepan and saute the onion for 2 minutes.  Add the peppers, ginger, remaining garlic and saute another 2 minutes. Add stock.  Cook about 10 minutes, until onion is very soft.

3. Drain the ancho pepper.  Discard the stem end then slice the pepper open.  Scoop out and discard seeds.  Chop the ancho and add it to the soup.  Stir in the cumin, coriander, red pepper flakes, tumeric, raisins and rice.  Cover and bring to a boil then simmer, stirring occasionally, until the rice is tender, about 35 minutes.  Remove from heat.

4. Heat the remaining oil in a skillet.  Add the tempeh and cook, tossing frequently, until lightly browned.  Either on a cutting board or with a spatula in the pan, break the tempeh into small pieces.  Add it to the soup.

5. In a small bowl, combine the remaining 2 tablespoons of tamari and molasses with the peanut butter.  Whisk in enough of the soup to make a smooth paste.  Stir this into the soup and serve.  Garnish with scallions if desired.

Another excuse to eat peanut butter? Why not?

Served alongside was a garden salad with warm roasted sweet potatoes (thanks Ange for that idea!) and tahini balsamic dressing.


To roast sweet potatoes, peel them and cube them, toss them with olive oil and liberal amount of salt and spread on a pan. Cook 25-30 minutes (sometimes more depending on the size of the chunks) at 375.

I guess you could say I am certainly not going hungry and I am definitely eating some DELICIOUS food.  Thanks Emilie for inspiring me and so many others.  She has more than 35 people that follow her blog that are doing the CFC!  What a cool way to make a difference.  I swear, I have the coolest friends.

No comments:

 
Site Meter