In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Saturday, June 18, 2011

pea top pesto

I realize that this recipe is going to smack of obscurity but I simply must share it for this reason.

Every year, Fisher Farm gives us something called pea tops in our share.  These are exactly what they sound like.  They are the tender, feathery tops of pea plants that grow before the plant yields actual peas.  I had never heard of eating these before they appeared in our share a few years ago.  You can steam them or saute them like any greens or eat them in salad.

I must confess, in this regard I am preferential toward the actual pea and have always looked down at the pea tops as the pea's pesky and annoying younger sister.

Until now.

Meet pea top pesto.

One of the things I love about Fisher Farm is that they give us a recipe each week for one or more of the veggies in our share.  Often, it has meant the difference between me having a stare down contest with a lesser known vegetable and really enjoying it.  Over the years, these recipes (from chocolate zucchini cake to crunchy kale to zucchini pancakes) have become some of my go-to favorite meals.

I honestly have no idea where you can get pea tops (farmer's market is my best guess) but this is so worth a try if you can get your hands on some.

Pea top pesto:
(from the Fisher Farmers)

1/3 pound pea tops
1/2 c. olive oil
1 TBSP lemon juice
1 TBSP sunflower seeds
salt to taste

Puree in food processor.



This was Sandi's response when I served it to her:  "It's delicious and different- like combining freshly mown grass with peas."

Some crumbled feta and a sprinkling of sunflower seeds over penne made my mouth deliriously happy to have something so new and fresh to eat.  Seriously, give it a try!

No comments:

 
Site Meter