In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Saturday, September 11, 2010

gotta get garmin

Have I failed to mention that I am running the Mount Desert Island Half-Marathon a week from today?


Maybe that is because I kind of forgot until a couple of weeks ago.

I was supposed to have been on Hal Higdon's intermediate half-marathon schedule since early July. Which means that I have still run a lot (because remember I have to for my sanity?) but not with any sort of plan.

Enter in the Garmin Forerunner 405.

Thank you Sandi for an AWESOME birthday present.

I shall preface by saying that I am no techy. I only like the computer if it does exactly what I want but I don't want to take the time to figure out how to make that happen. As Sandi wants to encourage me into electronic synced schedules, I long to go back to a spiral bound paper calendar and a pen. I only like the camera when it is easy and acts according to my wishes and I have just really gotten to know the full potential (ok, really probably only 25%) of my iPod Nano.

But this puppy is worth learning about.

It tells me my pace, my time, my distance, my heart rate, my splits, my calories burned (1482 for my 12 mile run yesterday!) and a whole host of other things that I have no idea about. It is like having a friend to run with. Or, perhaps more accurately, my inner competitive voice manifested on my wrist and prodding me along.

And by on my wrist, I mean ON MY WRIST. There is nothing subtle about this watch.


It actually kind of hurts t0 wear but I don't even care. I am blinded by love.

Eventually, when I figure out how to troubleshoot my computer malfunctions to get the software to work to download the info from my watch, I will get a whole bunch more cool information about my runs. (So maybe when pigs fly?) I can also wear it when I bike which I did Thursday and it was so fun to not plot a course but just go out and peddle and let my Garmin tell me how far I'd gone.

Biting my tongue to NOT discuss hopes of a PR (personal record) for the half next week, I will say that the Garmin does put a spring in my step and is a great positive reinforcer when I am have good speed to want to maintain it.

I do have to say that I like the half marathon 13.1 mile distance. It is not NEARLY as daunting as its double, the full marathon. No leg injuries and a faster pace with these miles. Also...a friend of mine (who is an occasional runner) said to me, "I have no right thinking this, given that I run so little but when I see the 13.1 stickers on people's cars I can't help but think, 'Wuss. You should have gone for the full.'"

And for this reason, I will always be proud of the 26.2 sticker on my car and totally love the half-marathon for the fun of it.

No comments:

 
Site Meter