In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

got a fridge full of cucs?

We did.

I made gazpacho, bread and butter pickles, served sliced cucumbers with a variety of dips for anyone who dared step foot in the house and STILL there they would be smiling up at me every damn time I opened the fridge.

Until now.

I searched for some recipes on http://www.allrecipes.com/ and found 2 I liked, both of which I modified before I made them.

The first one I choose partly because I had fennel I needed to use up from our farm share.

Fennel Cucumber Salsa
2 garden cucumbers, diced
1 large fennel bulb, diced (not the feathery greens, just the bulb)
1 avocado- peeled, pitted and diced
1/2 red onion, chopped
1/2 c. yellow or orange pepper, diced
2 TBSP honey
3 TBSP fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper, taste

Combine everything in bowl. Let it sit for 20 minutes before serving with pita chips or tortilla chips.

Cool Cucumber and Avocado Salad
2-3 garden cucumbers
1 tsp. salt
1/2 c. diced red onion
1 small red pepper, diced
2 limes, zested and juiced
1 TBSP sugar
1/2 tsp. curry powder
4 dashed hot pepper sauce
2 avocados, peeled pitted and diced

- Place cucs in a colander, toss with salt and allow to drain in sink.
-In a medium-sized bowl mix onion, pepper, limes zest and juice, sugar, curry powder and hot sauce until sugar is dissolved. Add cucumbers and gently stir in avocado.

Both of these could be served on warm bread, chips, on grilled fish or just plain. I've made both in the past 3 days and I like the combination of fennel, cucumber and avocado as well as the cucumber/lime/curry/avocado theme.

And, hurray I'm low on the cucs until farm share tomorrow afternoon...

No comments:

 
Site Meter