In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

relief, clean floors and being fancy

Maya is doing much better today, after a rather significant airway related scare yesterday (she had a fever of almost 105 and was struggling to get through major congestion), she has been cleared from suspected Influenza, has been propped up with good ol' nebulizer and steroids and is on the mend.  Phew.  No mom ever likes it when her "baby" is sick.  Especially when her critical care nurse co-mom is at work all day. Especially when Influenza means the pediatrician told her to keep the child home for 5 days.

Today Ella noted that the floors were really dirty.  "You should clean those today, Mom."

I know she didn't really mean anything by it.  She was simply stating fact.  The floors are filthy and you are the one I see clean them so....clean them.

On the way to school I had a chat with her that sounded something like this:  "You know, honey, in some families both parents have jobs that they go to all day and they need to have help caring for their kids while they are working.  In our family, Mommy has a full-time job and, while Momma works a little bit, my job is mainly to be your mom and take care of our family, take you to and from school, take care of Maya during the day, buy and make healthy food, figure out our money so we can pay our bills, wash and fold the clothes, and clean the house.  That is my job."

At which point, I kind of was plotting driving into a ditch after I dropped her off.

I mean, I KNOW that it is a meaningful way to spend a chunk of years, but MAN, broken down like that so simply made it sound so very, painfully mundane.  Maybe even a little pathetic too.  So I dropped her at school and took off from the parking lot for my 8 mile run that I missed yesterday.  I couldn't help but be thankful.  At least if I am a cook/ maid/ chauffeur/ accountant at least I am ALSO a marathoner.

Lastly, for anyone who is wondering about Ella's current placement on the fanciness scale, she recently said these two conflicting things to me:

(getting dressed one morning in leggings and a sweatshirt) "This happens a lot to girls that used to be fancy when they were little.  Then they get bigger and then...(shrug) well, then not so much."

(then a week later wearing full petticoat satin dress) "Just so you know, Momma.  I'm back to fancy."

What a relief.

1 comment:

Angela said...

Oh please, woman. You are sooooo much more than the things you listed here. I won't get all sappy (seeing how my hormones are raging and I can cry at the drop of a hat - or scone), but seriously stop.

xoxoxoxoxo

 
Site Meter