In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Friday, June 11, 2010

radishes can't keep me down

We belong to Fisher Farm (www.fisherfarmcsa.com), an organic community supported farm in Winterport, and for 5 blessed months of every year we get fresh, organic produce every Tuesday.

It is wonderful.

Except for the damn radishes.

For 7 years now we have been members and every year the radishes get the best of me, taunting me from their Ziploc in the refrigerator, snickering about my inability to use them. I mean apart from a few slices on a salad, I don't really care for the radish. And I certainly am ill equipped to deal with 10 or 12 pretty pink ones in my fridge week after week in early spring.

Until now.

Meet the radish and orange salad:

Radish and Orange Salad

3 cups thinly sliced radishes
1 10 oz. can mandarin oranges, drained
1/3 cup slivered almonds, toasted;
1/4 cup sliced green onion
3/4 - 1 tsp dried crushed chilies

Chili Basil Dressing
3 T olive oil
2 T white wine vinegar
1 T chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp chili powder
1/8 tsp each of ground coriander, salt and pepper.

Drizzle dressing over salad and toss gently.

It makes a zesty, spunky, fresh tasting salad. If I were Emilie Manhart (http://www.onemominmaine.com/) I would have a picture. But I am not so I do not.

No comments:

 
Site Meter