In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Monday, January 4, 2010

the aspargus follow-up

I know some of you think I'm crazy. But this asparagus smell in the pee thing is real. If you don't believe me, I now know it is because you either don't eat asparagus or you are like half of the population and are asparagus un-effected.

Here's what my research found:

Scientists don't really know the answer but they think the breakdown from normal smelling pee happens after ingestion, possibly due to a digestive enzyme that you either have or you don't based on genetic determination (and if you don't have it, you also can't smell the asparagus pee- how weird is that?) This enzyme breaks the asparagus into various chemical compounds, one of which is the same one that gives skunks their defensive smell. There is also something called asparagusic acid, which surprise surprise, is found primarily in asparagus and when it mixes with the genetically-created digestive enzyme, you get stinky pee. The good news? It means your getting your green veggies AND your kidneys are functioning properly!

Wow, I am just checking this list for 2010 off bang, bang, bang.

No comments:

 
Site Meter