In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Rainy Day

When thinking of a good rainy day activity, one may consider the museum, a matinee, or perhaps a trip to the mall. For us? Why not just stay home sick?

I find myself begging for sleep every night by 9 p.m. and 5 a.m (with one wake-up from Maya in between) comes early. This seems like it should be enough sleep. Last night, in between those precious hours, my slumber was interupted three times by Ella and three times by Maya (only one of which she actually got up and needed to eat.) Of course, none of these was timed to match up. This morning at 5, Ella woke up throwing up. Lovely.

I think it is just a cold with a sore throat and she got coughing and gagging and she has a low threshold gag reflex. But, nevertheless, we are in today and had to cancel our trip to the library and a visit at the McKay's house this afternoon.

I found myself literally stumbling around this morning in exhaustion, hunting like a dog with my nose to the ground for some caffeine to give me a jump start. I managed to get the girls both back to sleep at 8 am and caught a desperately needed 45 more minutes of sleep. While my handiwork to get them to sleep simultaneoulsy was actively being thwarted by both girls, I found myself at one point on the floor in between the crib and the bed (Maya was in her crib, Ella in our bed) relaxing in child's pose (knees on the floor, bum on heels, arms outstretched in front) and I actually fell asleep for a second. Until Ella roused me. No sleeping on the job.

The irony is that last night I got them both to sleep by 6:30 pm (Ella had had a busy day with no nap) and I enjoyed a magical hour on my own- cleaning up dishes, making phone calls, making dinner, reorganizing the house from an active day. And to think I used to relax with a glass of wine and my feet up. Adding wine to the equation would ensure a sleeping Suzanne within 10 minutes. No drinking on the job, either. Is it any wonder I turn to chocolate?

P.S. Sandi and I did get out on a date this Saturday. My mom came up to babysit and we had a lovely dinner at Thistle's (our favorite) and then what romantic activity did we embark on? A trip to Home Depot to buy appliances for our investment house while they were instock and on sale. I know, truly and really gay as my mom said. What can I say? We had a super fun time up there and, by some lovely unexpected events and an incredibly nice sales associate, we got an entire floor for the house for $17.84 instead of $408. Now this is a good time. They don't call it the Homo Depot for nothing.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Suzanne, as always you have made me laugh-except for the sick part of course. The P.S. was great! I'm so glad you were able to have your date as we felt bad saying no to girl watching but look forward to the raincheck... What a bargain on the floor! I can't imagine how you pulled off a deal like that-will have to hear that story sometime...
Be well!
Love, J (&M)

 
Site Meter