In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Thursday, May 1, 2008

Leaving the nest?

This morning Ella and I were eating breakfast, just the two of us. A school bus drove by and she asked,"Momma, will I ever get to ride on a school bus?"

Oh, my. The thoughts that flooded in- yes, only too soon. No we'll never make you ride on that bully machine where kids get lost and left and the bus drivers should be characters in a Steven King novel. No, you will never go to school; we are going to keep you with us forever. No, honey, you won't need one because you will be home schooled (don't laugh we haven't fully ruled that one out.) No, because you will probably go to Montessori school. On and on these went, the balance of thoughts being a resounding no. But really, the sucker punch to my stomach was of our little girl being big enough to even go somewhere on a bus without us. How could she be contemplating jumping ship already?

"Sure, honey. You'll go on a school bus someday." This was the safest, least emotionally damaging, and largely true answer I could give. Of course, at some point in time she'll go on a school bus. Like taking one from the Bangor Auditorium down to the Waterfront for the Folk Festival in August.

And then... "Momma, will you go with me?"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Adorable.

I have my own hang-ups about the school bus. My first day of kindergarten my lunch box popped open and a banana fell out. I was barely five and for the rest of the year, all the big kids on the bus called me, "Monkey Girl." :(

Luckily, Killian LOVES the school bus. It's nothing but fun and game-playing and unstructured time with friends. The real test will come next year when Killian, as the older brother, will be responsible for keeping his brother safe as his bus-riding buddy.

Maybe you can tell Hampden that Ella needs you to be her buddy :)

 
Site Meter