In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Monday, May 19, 2008

Defining Moments

Don't you just LOVE lipstick?

And the power of soap and water?



You know those moments when your heart feels like it could burst?




I had one today, driving home with our van full of girls (Mochy included.) We had a really lovely day, the one day Sandi was off in between two work stretches. I worked this morning and then we had the whole rest of the day unplanned- an occurrence as infrequent as Haley's Comet.


All four of us, mostly well-rested except maybe for a chronically overtired Sandi, went out on the town for an early dinner. We splurged on yummy dessert, wine for Sandi, and carbohydrates for me (I'm only sort of kidding.) On the way home, our girls were just so unbelievably cheery. Ella and Maya were literally squealing with delight at just having their moms' undivided attention. Sandi was in the back making funny sounds at Maya who was mimicking them exactly and cracking herself up each time. I drove away from the dark, thunderous skies of Bangor toward the sunny, rainbowed skies of Hampden wondering if it was a good sign- hard times behind, smooth sailing ahead. And by this I mean everyday struggle finally abating. I found myself thinking, is there a family happier than us in this moment? I think not. (If you were happier than this at 6 p.m. tonight, go ahead and tell me. I'll be happy for you.)


Oh, and our sizeable tax return checks came in the mail today. Already carved out for next winter's heat, some repair work on our lawn and our gorgeous new energy efficient washer and dryer (our last months electricity bill with the old ones was $240), and some left for play. We are one happy bunch of girls.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Am so happy that you all had such a wonderful day!!!
LOVE the new pics!!!
; ) J

exuberance said...

I laugh out loud almost very time I read the blog. My laughter interested the kid and he was able to share in the new photos... Loved them!

 
Site Meter