In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Off on the wrong foot...

I had one of those days today when I felt the girls were trying to break me.

Sandi and I both had an atrocious nights sleep. Maya was very unsettled and coughed so heartily that it had me up out of bed checking on her every 20 minutes. Sleep, cough, up, fall back in bed, hope it is the last time, trace the edge of sleep again, cough, pop out of bed... repeat...repeat. It was one of those nights that you wonder if you ever slept. Sandi left critically sleep deprived to take care of the critically ill.

I started my morning to take care of the critically cranky.

6:50 a.m., VERY challenging work-out completed (Yes, I rose at 5 to do it), Maya content in one of her baby stimulation contraptions, Ella still asleep, Trish (my every dedicated work-out partner) taking a shower and I am thinking, this is all good. I have time to get breakfast, feed Maya, make some much needed coffee that I now, out of necessity, acquired a taste for, and maybe even unload the dishwasher. Best laid plans... Ella wakes up (on the wrong side of the bed I might add), is furious that I have the blasted baby with me and cannot carry her, wrapped in a blanket, down the stairs. The morning took off from here.

Instead of the nitty gritty details, I will give you a snapshot looking at it through Tricia's eyes. A very hungry Suzanne trying to feed herself her growing-colder-by-the-minute eggs, hold Maya and trying to suction some very nasty things out of her nose that were coming in copious amounts thanks to the screaming, and tend to an equally upset Ella who was yelling at Maya "you stop crying!" Snot was flying in every direction, tears bouncing on the floor like fat, round jelly beans, and there was me taking deep, Yoga-inspired breaths, holding fast to every last thread of sanity. This lasted for close to half an hour. I actually did keep it together and manage to laugh - there was Ella, my opportunistic tantrum thrower, Maya, the clearly overstimulated thanks to her sister, Trish quietly eating her oatmeal and likely reviewing all possible escape routes in her mind, and me, the center of the chaos with about 3 consecutive hours of sleep and a day ahead of me.

My mom says someday I'll look back at my blog and think is funny how my life was all about kids and I had so little remaining awareness of life outside that. Yes, mom, you are right. But it won't be today.

P.S. It did improve with a trip to the park and lunch with a friend (with an equally cranky pre-schooler), our beloved baby sitters who came and took the girls so I could mow the lawn and start to weed the garden. I had said I wanted 1 hour outside. I got 58 minutes. Not bad.

1 comment:

Emilie said...

i'm telling you. working full time is easier than what you do.

xoxo

 
Site Meter