In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

crossing over

(It's going to be hard for me to back off on the marathon posts. If they get annoying, just tell me. I can take it.)



I just completed a BIG training week. I crossed over the half marathon threshold and now am into the miles that make me feel like I am training for a full marathon. I was so nervous about my 15 mile run this past weekend mostly because I harbored doubt in my ability.



Don't ever do this to yourself. It's just plain mean.



There was the other thing too.



The leg thing.



See I had a stress fracture (or at least that's what it was presumed to be) last summer which dashed my hopes of doing the MDI marathon last fall. I had to run smartly, and a whole lot less and rehab it. I'd been so pleased that it was all nice and healed and all this running was suiting it just fine.



Until it wasn't. And that twinge of pain in the interior of my right femur returned.



Turns out I am braver that I thought and I went right back to PT despite my fear that she would shake her head sadly and my non-refundable registration fee for the Burlington, VT marathon, not to mention my life-long dream, would be up in smoke. I was justly rewarded for going and getting checked, though.



First, she told me that I was super strong. (Thank you?) That this is a good thing, but that I have much more muscle mass than most distance runners (as in not the long, lithe physique) and that can be a lot of pull on my bones when I am running distance. So lay off the lunges and the muscle building leg workouts.



Okaaaay.



Second, she told me my running had improved dramatically. (She has me run around the back parking lot.) She told me my stride is better, my upper body more relaxed and I am smoother. Yay!



And, third, best of all, still train. Be smart but go out and play. She is confounded by what it actually is and wants me to pay attention and check in with her if it gets worse.



So 15 miles... felt strong and able and like I could keep going. My leg? Perfectly fine. I started slow, warmed it well, and it carried me the distance.



My knees on the other hand felt like someone had taken a tire iron after them later that night...

No comments:

 
Site Meter