In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Monday, November 9, 2009

the first half...

Let me just start by saying I get it. I get why people race. Why it is SO much more fun than going out your doorstep and cruising 12 miles around your town. There is a chance I may be hooked.



What would you ask for when you are doing your first real half-marathon?

An almost summer-type day in November?

Three of your dearest friends running too?

Your kids happily taken care of by your partner who got the day off work to be there with you and took all kinds of great pictures?

A beach for a playground for them to play on?

How about 1200 women to run alongside you?

A body that felt just the right amount of strong and rested, able and willing?

How about if you got all of it?



A three hour drive, a little bit of nerves, the sun rising high with the promise of warmth, a happy albeit, un-napped toddler...we head into the gym to find these incredible women. Sandi said, "Can I just say how lucky I feel that I have friends who run marathons?!" (Author's note: these women are all members of the other 3 families that we feel at least somewhat responsible for moving to Hampden.)



Ready to go.


We are all excited and anxious to start. Mindy, the real trooper of the day, had been battling flu-like symptoms for the past 24 hours.

Maya getting a good view from up on Charissa's shoulders. Plus it had the added benefit of us not needing use the dog's leash to keep her with our group.





First few minutes of the race it was a thick sea of women (there was a lottery and "one lucky guy" got to race with us.) Mindy was there but hiding behind someone. In front of us, the back of one woman's shirt said, "Marriage inequality is so gay." Awesome.



Our cheering squad. Packed in the stroller and ready for the first stop cheering spot.
Mile 3.5. Mindy looking amazingly strong for her poor, flu-riddled body. I was ridiculously happy and high-fiving everyone and anyone that was willing. I told Mindy I felt like a parasite feeding off the crowd. She said it was a symbiotic relationship but I'm pretty sure I took more than I gave.



Meredith and Emilie looking strong. (This is Emilie of just finished the San Francisco Marathon 3 weeks ago-and my running muse-and Meredith who is doing her first marathon in February.)


No joke- this was our view...





Time for the kids to ditch the running moms and go play!












Can I bottle this joy please?
























And then back in the stroller to be cheerleaders... bummer.





Mile 8.








This is where poor Mindy started to really struggle. There was not enough water on the course, for anyone, but especially for her already dehydrated body. I opted out of the photo of her looking like she was suffering. (Hope that is okay Min. Scroll down for your moment of glory.)


What we were all aiming to get into our line of vision...



Here they are, all glammed up. Check out Emerson's cheek. It looks like a tatoo you would find on a guy who smokes cigarretts, listens to classic rock, and has longer hair that you do.




I finished in 2 hrs. 15 minutes. Very proud.








Here come Emilie and Meredith. That is me holding my arm out. I was REALLY excited. Their time was 2 hrs. 22 min.




And pulling it from who knows where...




Looking strong and fantastic (and probably wondering where the closest bed was to crawl into) Mindy came across a mere 15 minutes later. Tough as nails.














What more can I say?




How about Memorial Day weekend 2010. Vermont. Full Marathon.




That is why the blog header says "Start." This is only the beginning.

6 comments:

exuberance said...

You girls look just as awesome in pictures as you did running! Love the pictures, Sandi. You did a great job juggling the girls and photographs! Charissa

Angela said...

So. Awesome. You guys did amazing!

BTW - look at those legs at mile 8!!! Remind me never to mess with you!

Trish said...

Congratulations again! I'm so happy the 4 of you got to share that experience. I hope Mindy is as proud of herself as she possibly can be! I think she did awesome. Way to go on your first half-marathon! What progress you've made.
The leg picture is impressive. Way to go.
In looking at the pics of the kids, especially the ones on the beach, I was actually moved to tears. I'm still teary-eyed writing this. They are filled with such beauty, care-free caring for each other and nature, and God-ness, I can hardly stand it. I am in love with kids and so happy for these kids who get to know safety, love, caring, and enjoyment of life every day.
xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Carver fam, for making me feel like a part of your family yesterday.

I loved feeling like part of such an extraordinary team.

xoxo

Emilie said...

Okay, I just got on to comment on your legs, and everyone else beat me to it. But, it must be noted, that you are ripped. Congrats on not only running so well, but having such a blast while you did.
love love love,
e

p.s. i'm bummed there are NO pictures of Sandi who was such an important part of the day!

Unknown said...

Awesome, Awesome, Awesome!!! I'm so proud of you Suzanne!! And yes, those legs... Who knew? We (OK, me) have heard you speak of your training but I can't say that I really had my head wrapped around what you've been up to, clearly some very hard training and work. Wow, just Wow, Wow, Wow!
And the family pics, priceless! Nice job Miss Sandi!
Love you two and the wonderful family you're showing our world!
(((HUGS!!)))
jm

 
Site Meter