In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Ella-isms, the next installment

It's been a while...


"Momma, when I get bigger, I want to die my hair purple." (Why?) "It's my favorite color."



As she goes from the dinner table to the play kitchen to serve us plastic food:

"Wait, I need to wash my face. I don't want my customers to think that I have been eating."



"If me and Maya were ants, we could ride on the fan like a Ferris wheel."

Serving plastic food in the play kitchen, "Today we have credit cards, doughnuts and cookies." (Umm... I'll take the Visa.)

Not liking her dinner this evening, "What else are you serving tonight, Momma?"

And regarding the recently identified "headache": "My headache is so bad, it's like it is bleeding inside my brain." And, used in it's other form regarding the month long sewer pipe replacement that has our entire street dug up: "I hope they're done soon. What a headache!"

At bedtime:

Me: "Ella, I'm sorry I had no patience today. I am so very tired. It is hard to be patient when you're tired.'

Ella: "Oh, Momma. You need to get more sleep."


Probably it is my fault, but Ella is somewhat fixated on China. We talk at length about the round nature of the Earth, the sun rising on one side and setting on the other, the whole night vs. day idea, and I have ended up using China as the focal point. As in, "The people in China are going to bed now as we are waking up." And now Ella has started to notice racial distinctions and again, China has become representative for the entire Asian race. No amount of introduction to Japan, Vietnam or the like has diverted her interest in China. Plus it is so freaking big on the globe it sticks out like a chocolate in a bowl of broccoli for her.



So anyway, we were discussing the seasons and again with the pesky rotation of the earth, how we have winter part of the year when our part of the earth is tilted away from the sun. She nods gravely and says, "Yeah, because of China..."

I fear she is going to use China as some sort of scapegoat for everything.


And, my personal favorite: "Oh look! Maya fell down and she didn't even get a head injury!"

I guess that is what you get when you have a mom who is a trauma nurse...

No comments:

 
Site Meter