In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Monday, May 18, 2009

My Memorial Day Weekend

Memorial Day weekend- yard work, sun, BBQ, summer kick off... Sandi ends up working almost every year and this year, almost accidentally, we celebrated early. No BBQ but we had the sun (one day) and we had the yard work for sure. And summer? Well just ask Ella who was out in the yard, rubber lady bugs boot full of mud and on top? Why a lovely, flowing summer halter dress no less. She was digging in the dirt, climbing trees and getting soaked by the hose- all while dressed for a formal dinner. And if the dirty threshold was met? She would disappear into the house and come out literally about 20 minutes later with a new, fancier outfit on.

It is a crying shame I don't have photos. I promise. This is next on my list. Learn how to use the damn camera- oh, and the computer while you're at it.

For whatever reason, I haven't been able to get back on the running horse since my misadventure last week. I kind of have a (mostly) irrational fear that I will not be able to run home and that I will be stranded somewhere in Hampden. But, no worries, for the past few days I have replaced my somewhat compulsive running with marathon gardening.

My perennial garden has gotten a full face lift- weed-free, relocation of the plants that were in a traffic pile-up and choking each other, yummy, velvety mulch sitting like skirts beneath each plant and now, beautiful landscaping ties as a real border giving my garden a classy look. (I promise I will take some pictures!) I have worked until dark for the past three days, and even in the rain yesterday morning because I want so much to be out there. Ella helped me plant, water and mulch what we now call "Ella's garden" (a small jetty off the main garden) and Maya helped by taking all the mulch and tossing it on to the lawn.

We had some much needed family time frolicking and working around our yard, cleaning the garage, swinging on the playset, mowing the lawn, decorating and finding summer toys. Our backyard is reminiscent of an amusement park right now. Sounds a lot like Memorial Day weekend doesn't it? And what I would give to have this as the bonus Monday holiday but, alas, Sandi is back at work...

As a p.s...

Ella asked me, "Momma, can you just stay home forever?"

The other night before bed: "I can't wait to have kids of my own." (yikes...)

To Brady, standing in the driveway admiring their bikes after their preschool bike parade: "Um, I hate to tell you Brady, but you've got a spider on your bike."

One of Ella's common things to say, thumb in mouth, security blanket at the ready, tired eyes on: "Momma, can we snuggle when we get home?" I said, "Sure. I wonder if there will be a time that you don't want to snuggle with me." She looked very serious and then rubbed yellow blankie along her cheek as she does when she is tired. "I will want to snuggle with you forever."

Oh, God. If only that were true...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I hope she'll always want to snuggle too... I'm sure there will be some form of that that she'll hold on to...
From my almost 16 Kelsey, out of the blue this weekend: "Momma?" "Yes", I said. "I love you!" "Well I love you too sweetheart".... Melt... This is the stuff you wait for and you take a deep breath and think "OK, I have maybe done SOMEthing right!"
Congrats on the summerization of the Carver estate, bet it looks wonderful!
Must visit soon...

 
Site Meter