In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Storyland

We wrapped up our vacation with a rockin' trip to Storyland in Glen, NH. We had so much fun there last year with my sister, our niece Michaela and my mom, that we made sure to build it into our summer itinerary this year. Since my sister is about to pop, closing in on her due date to deliver a much anticipated little baby boy (and our second nephew), she wasn't able to go. This was a bit of a bummer since my sister and I had as much, if not more, fun than our daughters did last year, running and skipping around Storyland more like five-year-olds than the thirtysomethings we are.

So we gathered up a group of equally lovely women and children for this year's trip- Kristi and Brevan and Kristi's friend Jess and her son Jonah, and, squeezed into a little cottage with us just like family, were Mindy, Charissa and Emerson. We knew it would be Ella and 3 two-year-old boys. We knew we had a baby this year to factor into the mix. We thought we could foresee all and secure any problems that might arise. This was largely true- we had the necessary rain gear for a few momentary downpours, we packed Maya's giant swing for sleeping which was more than necessary, and I ramped up my energy level so I could play with Ella the way Michaela would have. But the truth is, Ella was a bit lost.

Sandi and I learned fully and completely that Ella is at the stage where friends, and especially peers, are incredibly important to her. She had a ton of fun with the boys, especially romping around with them back at the cabins. But when it came to the bigger rides, the ones she LOVED last year, it seemed she really needed to borrow on the courage of an older, wiser friend who was, unfortunately, absent. The saddest part for us is that we couldn't be this for her. No amount of enthusiasm on our part (including jumping up and down, at the edge of cartwheels) or participation and bravery from the clan of boys could prompt Ella into full blown enjoyment of Storyland. We could have sat right down and cried.

But there are, of course, some wonderful pictures. And by the way, Maya had a great time, was a champ about the travel, the stroller, the sun, the whole thing - plus she got her first taste of ice cream.

Ella and Brevie- on the run.




Maya with her mini-mohawk and lickin' her chocolate ice cream.






Peekin' out of Peter Pumpkin's pie.



Emerson had the best time at Storyland! I think he went on every ride and he may have even received some sort of medal for the most time ever spent on the Storyland train.


Maya LOVED the carousel. I, on the other hand, got a bit sick after the second go-around.




Ella had to have her sunglasses - not for her eyes but to wear like a headband. She gets more and more specific about her personal fashion with each passing day.


I think this was harmless play but it looks like Brevan is taking Jonah down in the ball pit.

I will say that the adult time we had on our trip was incredibly fun. After we got the kids to bed, we sat up and drank wine and laughed ourselves silly, something we don't often do anymore (this seems too basic, but why is that?) And here, are some snippets of things I heard people say that cracked me up.

"Please don't eat the floor." - a request for Jonah from his mother when we stopped for lunch.

"Will Humpty's Dump do?" - question posed to Jess and Kristi regarding their desire to go to Freeport on the way back to Maine. We passed a junkyard by this name on our way to Storyland.

"Do they sell beer at Storyland?" - Charissa asked the night before we went.

"I don't think they can do anything to it by pressing buttons." -Jess's famous last words regarding the boys playing with the CD player.

"Is it too early to buy wine in New Hampshire?" -me asking at 7 a.m when I went to the Irving for maple syrup (I was planning ahead for the evening.) "Oh, hell no!" -the answer from a fellow female customer.

"I'm not lazy. I just really like to be waited on." - Charissa in reference to how well Mindy takes care of her.

"Get a whooper today." - a sign on a Burger King Mindy and Charissa passed on their way to NH.

"I see a red skittle. Did somebody poo?" - question posed by Jess to Ella regarding Ella's skittle reward system for using the toilet.

"What is it that people say I am?? What is that word? Oh, I can't think of it! What is it??" - Kristi asking everyone. "Overstimulated?" I offered. "Yes, that's it."

And here is a P.S.

"I wish I had a flurident." - said by Sandi the evening we came home. Mindy had spent some time convincing us of the merit of the flurident- a fancy shaped toothpick that takes the place of flossing for plaque removal. Initially skeptical, we were full participants in the nightly ritual by the time we departed.




1 comment:

Emilie said...

I've recovered enough from our plane trip to laugh again. So thanks!

Miss you guys!
Em

 
Site Meter