In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Friday, March 28, 2008

Muffins to the rescue

We had one of those unstructured days that kind of loomed ahead -there was a chance for great serendipity as well as a case of severe cabin fever/what am I going to do with these two kids kind of feeling.

Mindy and Emerson came over for lunch which was wonderful. Good times were had by all.

The hard part is that we didn't leave the house all day. This is normally a recipe for disaster but Maya really needed a chance to catch up on her zzz's and she doesn't always sleep when we're out. At 2:30 p.m., with Ella already up from her nap, the cooped up feeling began. With no friends on the horizon to visit with, Ella having already lost TV for the rest of the day for not listening to me, what were we to do?

Muffins to the rescue.

Banana streusal to be specific. Maybe we're just trying to bribe company. Who knows. It worked. No one came, but we feel better. Baking tends to lift the spirits and occupy the three-year-old.

Ella said the following to me, while she twittered around the living room in one of her fancy dresses to up-tempo classical music, "I'm on stage. All the people are watching me." She waved her arms grandly. This is direct pay back. This is me when I was little. All the world was my stage. Perhaps it still is.

Earlier today: "Can I have whipped cream with my breakfast?"
"No."
"Why?" (Long story- I had given her some the previous morning.)
"Because yesterday you didn't eat your breakfast."
"Mom? When you were a little girl, did you want whipped cream and your mom didn't give it to you?"

No comments:

 
Site Meter