In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Anatomical Alternatives

Penobscot River early a.m. in March

Ella is learning the difference between girl bodies and boy bodies. I would go so far as to say she is interested in the penis. She wants to know whose got 'em and who doesn't. I think this curiosity is normal and perhaps magnified by the fact that she bathes with both her cousin, Brevan, and her friends Reed and Sklyer (plus she has the added benefit of seeing Emerson - almost 2- run around pantless from time to time.)

Driving in the car a couple of days ago, out of the blue, she says, "When Brevie gets bigger will he no longer have his penis?"

Apparently she thought he would outgrow the need for it. I bet Brevan hopes this isn't the case.

Then last night Ella had the following exchange with Sandi. Sandi was feeding Maya and told Ella she needed to switch her to the other side.


Ella: Mommy, what would happen if you had three boobs?
Sandi: I don't know. What would happen?
Ella: Well... that would be silly!
Sandi: What would happen if you had three hands?
Ella: I'd have more hands to pick up my toys with.

My note: I would be happy to see her use the original two.

And a P.S. on manners: I have been on Ella about "please and thank you." I reiterated it again at the table the other day and she replied, "I just want my stuff now!" It's going really well.

No comments:

 
Site Meter