In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Sunday, February 10, 2008

The Stomach Flu

Sandi worked last Tuesday and Wednesday and then we were off to Beals Island for a quick two days for me to see my ever loyal and wonderful massage clients. This meant we left early Thursday and were due to leave by 2:30 Friday so Sandi could re-group and be ready for her work weekend of Saturday/Sunday. Best laid plans...



On Wednesday, Sandi hurt her back at work and several of her spinal muscles were working in concert against her in a rather constant state of spasm. She was finding it hard to maneuver Maya in feedings, burping, and general care. Maya was extremely fussy, feverish, and overall in an unhappy state. I worked all day Thursday and felt truly great. That night, I helped Sandi with Maya's night feeding since she couldn't really get around and noticed my stomach was a bit upset. By 8 a.m. I was throwing up and I had to spend the day in bed (which, I admit, was somewhat nice although my body felt like I had been in a boxing match and I wanted to throw up). We began to wonder if this stomach upset was what was up with Maya. I cancelled all my clients and we decided to stay another night (Sandi called in to work.)



That night, Sandi's sister Kristi started throwing up, Ella started throwing up and our nephew Brevan (who is closing in on two) started to throw up. Luckily when it hit Ella that night, I was completly over it (or maybe maternal instinct took over) and I took care of her as she vomited every half hour for about 10:30 until 3 a.m. I have never hurt for her as much as I did that night (I guess I should consider myself lucky.) The next morning Sandi was throwing up. By late Saturday, six of the nine people in the house had been throwing up (including poor Maya) and two others had diarreha. So far, after taking care of EVERYONE and having every grandchild throw up on her, Patti has managed to make it through with just a lot of sleeplessness.



So we managed to pack up last night and come home even though Sandi was feeling less than optimal as we were expecting a huge snowstorm last night (still haven't really seen it as of noon Sunday). We got both girls to bed by 8 - Maya in her co-sleeper and Ella snuggled between us. Sandi and I were asleep by 9 . Oh, to be home and on the mend. Maya's sickness had made her unable to stay asleep for any length of time so when she made it to 12:30 were were happy. Except that the other thing that woke us up at 12:30 a.m. was Ella throwing up all over our bed. Yep, we had both girls up for a complete bed change, feeding, settling, the works. As soon as I changed the bed, and lined it for Ella in case there was a repeat, Mochy and Ella were fast asleep in minutes. Maya, not so much.



Without expounding on the details (sufice it to say Sandi and I tried EVERYTHING), Maya was awake from 12:30 am. to 6 am. Finally, I got her to sleep on me while I lay like a
Cirque du Soliel contortionist on the downstairs recliner from 6 until 8 when Ella woke up. All I can say is thank goodness for the DVR player taping reruns of Sex and the City which I watched probably 4 of while I tried to settle Maya.





So here we are, tired, tired, tired and all about to hop in bed for what (fingers crossed) will hopefully be a family nap. Maya can't breath through her nose at all and has a terrible cough now. The Doctor says it is probably the same strain of virus just hittting all her systems. She hasn't slept more than 6 or 7 hours in the past 24. Please send all your positivity our way! We could use it! And... this is a nasty, catchy bugger so protect yourselves! Don't leave your houses, don't shake hands with small children, don't eat the crusts off their sandwiches and, whatever you do, if you hear "stomach flu" run the other way!

No comments:

 
Site Meter