In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, February 5, 2008

If only...

I seem to spend a lot of time writing about Ella and food but certain things must be documented. Yesterday, we all went grocery shopping and Ella, hawk ears that she is, happened to hear me ask Sandi if she wanted some chocolate soy ice cream (she can't eat dairy still because Maya can't digest it in the breast milk.) Ella piped up that she wanted some. It was 11 am and I had already put aside the obligatory, complimentary cookie from the bakery department in my purse (yes, I carry cookies in my purse) for after lunch. We told Ella she could pick between the ice cream and the cookie.

After lunch, which was full of coaxing and manipulating her to eat if she wanted her "treat", I asked her which one she wanted - the ice cream or the cookie. She debated over this incredibly important issue for a full minute and then decidedly said, "both." Can you blame her?

Last night, I was making salad for dinner and she wanted to know what the white things were in the salad. Mushrooms, I told her. A few minutes later she asked if she could have marshmallows in her salad as well. If only we could have marshmallows in salad, I feel salad would be even more popular.

Ella offered Sandi some of her orange juice pop (just frozen OJ in a popsicle mold.) Sandi said, "No thank you." Ella said, "It doesn't have dairy in it." Who knew she was paying this close attention?

And lastly, Ella loves the expression "Open Sesame." She has it down now, what you use it for and the power it wields. But not long ago, you could overhear her summoning her power to open gates and move adults legs by uttering, "Open Sesame Street."

No comments:

 
Site Meter