In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 6, 2013

just the right number of cooks in the kitchen

Since nothing ever is permanent, not playing the garage game as we drive down the road, not modifying my life to care for a convalesing American Girl doll with a sprained ankle and not listening to Carly Rae Jepsen sing "Call Me Maybe" each and every time we get in the car (Maya's favorite song), I have decided one way to embrace my kids' rapid growth is to wave goodbye to the old and welcome in the new. 
 
Check out who who is old enough to plan, shop for and cook supper?
  
I'm really not sure what the toy syringe is doing nearby the food prep, but suffice it to say that there is some medical preoccupation in our house.

 
On the menu: krispy kale, Pillsbury cresent rolls and smoothies.  Maya really wanted to help.  So she moved the furniture around the kitchen.
 
 Ella even put the pans in and took them out of the oven.  It was a momentous moment for her as well as for me as I let go and let her learn, despite the risk of second degree burns. She was a pro.  (Sandi wasn't there for the first few ins and outs of the oven and when Ella reached in for the final pan of Kale, Sandi nearly had a heart attack.  It was actually really funny.  Ella was like, "I've GOT this!")
 

Krisy kale recipe: cut the stems out of the kale and tear it into pieces.  Spray a pan with cooking spray (or olive oil).  Layer with kale.  Spray kale with spray and lightly salt it.  Sprinkle fresh parmesean cheese over the top (to whatever desired amount.)  Cook at 400 for about 8-10 minutes, watching carefully, to desired crispness. The browner it gets the more krispy it will be but be careful not to burn it.  Fight people off as soon as it gets on the table.  (I'm serious, our kids love this stuff.)

I love how much whipped cream she used on her smoothie.
Part exercise in giving Ella independence and freedom, part me loosening up control, part empowering Ella about food choices...with the added benefit of adding another cook to my kitchen!!  Good job Ella!

No comments:

 
Site Meter