In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Saturday, October 17, 2009

houdini

I came home from work to hear this from Sandi:

"There was a code pink at the hospital today." (this is when a baby is taken)

Gulp. Those poor parents, is all I can think.

Then: "It was Maya."

Why am I not all that surprised?

Maya, Sandi and Ella had all gone to visit a family member in the hospital and were all three looking out a sixth floor hallway window, peeking down on everything below when Sandi turned to see Maya. Who was no longer there.

Panicked Sandi searching frantically for the missing Maya, freaked out Ella... and Maya? Aboard a south-bound elevator which she had found her way into just before the doors closed and swallowed her alone inside. After scouring the sixth floor, poor Sandi, who could now hear crying in the elevator shaft (every parents worst nightmare) grabbed Ella up and ran down the stairs to the security desk at the first floor. At this point, code pink being called overhead, a housekeeper showed up with a very tearful Maya. Apparently she had discovered her in the elevator when it opened on the 5th floor.

Just think of where she could have gone... And for the 10 or so minutes Sandi was without her, she didn't know if Maya had been taken or had maybe somehow fallen into the elevator shaft. I was so glad to hear this story in the past tense, with our crazy blond-haired girl sitting snuggled on my lap.

Then yesterday, Maya and I were at the grocery store. I put her jacket back on her as we departed the check out line to head outside. I turned my head for 2 seconds (literally) and when I turned back the jacket was gone. Completely. From unzipped to off and buried in the cart under the bags in 2 seconds.

I swear she could magic in Vegas if she wanted.

Patti says we are going to have to get her a leash...

No comments:

 
Site Meter