In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Not even coffee can help this...

Some of you may know that I have never been a coffee drinker. It is a bit of an ongoing opportunity for others to poke fun at me. Charissa once said to me, "I don't understand. How is it again that you don't drink coffee? That is just weird." I got coffee for two years in a row in my Christmas stocking at the Carvers and made such a big deal out of my lack of interest in the java that this year I got my favorite tea stuffed into a Folger's bag.

Well, if necessity is the mother of invention then my need for wakefulness has indeed prompted a full out commitment on my part to acquire a taste for coffee. (For anyone out there who needs such a regimen I will tell you my secret: hot chocolate. Just put a few teaspoons in the bottom of the mug, pour your coffee and then add a generous amount of milk.) This has worked wonders and now I am able to decrease the taste crutches so I can actually taste the coffee and like it. Sandi made some seriously weak coffee yesterday morning and I caught myself saying, "This coffee is too weak, even for me..."

But now I realize, somewhat belatedly and certainly grudgingly, that coffee can only take me so far... This is a hard fall that others have surely already experienced but please sympathize with me briefly.

Maya hasn't really slept for the past week- from coughing all night, to teething pain, to other nebulous problems that cause nocturnal upset, to fever and delirium last night- I have been averaging about 5 hours of sleep a night. Luckily (?) for me I got Bronchitis at the end of last week and got one heavenly, albeit through a haze of sickness, twelve hour uninterupted nights sleep. That is probably augmenting the coffee to keep me going. My eyes look like they are in danger of falling into the deep dark caverns below the sockets and my skin has that dull hue of the sleepless. But worst of all today, after such a crappy night, I feel as though my mind can't cope. Luckily it is a beautiful day and I get some much needed Vitamin D outside after I get Maya to the doctor for the THIRD time in a week to find out what is freaking wrong with her...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

For someone who is in such dire straits, you sure did manage to fool me yesterday! I noticed no sunken dark eyes nor did I catch any indication that you may be sleep deprived - more than normal of course! My wish for you is....
SANITY NOW!!!!! For healthier bodies and minds in the Carver household!
By the way... not hurting this morning, yet anyway! :P
p.s. The "more than normal" comment was not meant to infer that you normally look sleep deprived, but was meant to address the fact that I think that your "normal" is to experience interrupted sleep!

 
Site Meter