In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Sunday, August 24, 2008

Best Birthday Ever

A quick break during our biking....
and a happy Suzanne.




No lie. It was awesome. It was the best birthday, hands down, and maybe even the best day so far in my life.

We got a timely start off to drop off the girls in the morning and then headed down the coast to Bar Harbor to clear skies, irrepressible sunshine and some serious peddling. We biked for hours around the carriage trails (thank you Mr. Rockefeller for having the foresight to give the land and make those unbelievable trails). We rode up Day Mountain on a trail that gave a new, better-than-the-last view of MDI and an unbelievable sense of accomplishment at the top. It was like the view that rewards a tough hike but in a fraction of the time to get there.

Then we went back to our room for a shower and nap (yes, a nap) then off to the Bar Harbor Inn for the BEST meal ever. It was the kind where you purposely slow down because it is so good you don't want it to end. Our friend John was playing the piano and played every song we loved. We looked out at the sparkling ocean, watched the sunset and talked about how great our lives are.

I must have said a dozen times that there was no one happier in the world than me that day.

The next day we had a leisurely wake-up, breakfast on the porch in the sun on wicker chairs and off for more biking. Our bums were sore but our spirits never more free. We stayed as long as we dared and then went back to Beals to get the girls.

A big thanks to Auntie Krick and Patti for watching the girls. After a personally challenging past month, I needed this break badly. And I needed to feel this happy! It was like emerging from a cocoon and feeling like myself again. Oh, how I missed me! I think those closest to me must also know because most of my gifts were centered around this- babysitting and gift certificates to go away again. For me, the gift of time is the best gift I could be given.

Thanks everyone for all the birthday wishes!

1 comment:

Emilie said...

i feel all sparkly for you when reading this. you DESERVE this kind of day at least once a month.

Love you guys!

 
Site Meter