In the kitchen

Search This Blog

Monday, April 18, 2011

tough call

We have decided to find a new home for Coconut.

Sniff.  Sniff.

It was going well.  Maya was off her allergy medicine (we felt we could only keep him if it meant not medicating her as a result) and she had stopped coughing.  We were training him to keep to certain areas (namely on a washable blanket instead of all over the couch) and out of Maya's room. 

Then the other night we woke up to the sound of a dog barking in her room.

Except it wasn't a dog. 

Three am found Sandi and Maya and I huddled in the humid steam of the bathroom with the shower on full blast trying to open her up.  We did nebulizers, inhaled steroid, Vick's and even Ibuprofen to try to get her so that she could breath and rest well. 

It worked, but the decision was suddenly, irrevocably made.  Maya is too allergic to felines to co-habitat with them.

So we are in the market for a new home for our beloved, perfect cat.  (Ok, he climbs on the screens to tell you he wants to come in and he gets on the table when we leave food unattended for a second, but other than that...)   He is not yet two,  healthy as can be, social, loving but not too needy- in  a lot of ways more like a dog than a cat.  We love him and want so much for him to go to a person or family who feel the same about him.

And yes, this is just breaking my heart.  I seriously love this cat.

And, no, we haven't told Ella and that will break it even further.  We are waiting until we know where he is going (hopefully to someone we know and where we can visit him sometimes) and then Sandi will break the news to her. 

I simply cannot do it.

No comments:

Site Meter